OPENING DATE: September 1, 2010 CLOSING DATE: Ongoing
POSITION: Substitute Paraeducators
LOCATION: Varies - All district locations in the Kent School District
ANTICIPATED TIMES: Hours may vary from 3 – 8 hours as needed by buildings
SALARY: Varies according to the position being covered - $12.81 to $13.17 per hour
ASSIGNMENT: Paraeducator substitutes replace regular KSD employees when absent. Candidates are required to assist teachers as needed. Duties may include small group instruction, one-on-one instruction, correcting papers, or other tasks as required by the teacher. Assignments may be in a regular classroom or a special education classroom. Substitutes work on a day-to-day, on-call basis and must be available to work all hours or at the very least 7:30 am – 2:00 pm or 9:00am to 4:00 pm on any day of the week, Monday through Friday. An automated system is used to arrange assignments in advance. However, early morning phone calls may occur between 6:00 am and 8:00 am if necessary.
1. Associates degree (AA) or 90 college level (Clvl) quarter-hour credits*. Transcripts must be on file to be considered for a position. Completion of the ETS ParaPro Assessment test with a score of 461 or higher will be accepted in lieu of college credits. Proof of score must be on file.
2. Must be able to demonstrate flexibility working with staff members in a variety of locations.
3. Prefer candidate who is willing to work with students with special needs.
4. Must have strong interpersonal skills working with a team of adults.
5. Demonstrated evidence of promptness and reliability.
6. Ability to work effectively under pressure.
7. Candidate must have the ability or willingness to provide medical or health services such as catheterization, diapering, toileting, feeding, tube-feeding, and assisting students with other activities involving self-care should the need arise.
8. Demonstrated ability to exercise sound, independent judgment, including appropriate handling of confidential matters.
APPLICATION: To be considered, please complete a classified application in the RainShadow online application system including the requirement of two (2) letters of recommendation. After completing the application, log-in and go to “Position Search” on the toolbar. Find “Substitute Paraeducator” in the list of available positions. Click on “View Position Details” located to the left of the position title. At the top of the next page is an “Apply for this Position” button. This will enter your name on the list of candidates to be considered as substitute paraeducators.
Once you have applied to the subsitute paraeducator position, CALL THE SUBSTITUTE OFFICE (253-373-7814) TO REQUEST TO BE INCLUDED IN THE NEXT ORIENTATION SESSION. Copies of transcripts or documentation indicating a passing score on the ETS ParaPro Assessment test must be on file before you can be considered for a position. Two letters of recommendation must also be on file.